This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Registration of birth


Registration of birth

Birth certificates of Italian citizens must be registered in Italy as well, even when newborns are dual citizens. Registration is mandatory for recognition of Italian citizenship and is an essential precondition for a passport application.

Italian parents are entitled to name their children by having the child’s mother’s surname added to the father’s surname, not followed by the latter. This provision only applies to birth certificates issued other than in Italy and from 29th December 2016.

The option is expressed by one or both parents by signing the application form, even when the certificate bears the father’s surname only. However, parents are strongly advised to obtain a birth certificate containing the wording that exactly reflects their wish.

To obtain registration in Italy of a birth certificate issued in Australia, applicants need to send an advance copy of the entire documentation through our online form together with:

  1. application form signed by one or both parents;
  2. for each parent, plain copy of passport (only pages with signature and photo) or equivalent photo ID, preferably Italian;
  3. original full birth certificate of the child, only issued by the WA Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, legalized by means of an apostìlle (issued by the DFAT,  for Western Australia reachable from HERE) and accompanied by a qualified translation into Italian (reference translators available from HERE). As a rule, apostilles are not to be translated; translations are normally not to be apostillized.

After receiving confirmation that the documents intended for registration are correct and complete, applicants may freely choose between:

  1. sending the entire documentation by post (ordinary or registered) to: P.O. Box 1894, West Perth WA 6872, or
  2. submitting the entire documentation at the counter, as instructed by e-mail (Tuesdays or Thursdays, between 10 and 12, no appointment required).

Originals only, no copies accepted.

If a passport is also required, for a parent, for a minor or for both, parents need to apply by sending a second e-form, selecting "PASSPORT" in the drop down menu and attaching the documentation required. Depending on a number of variables, a passport may be issued either on the same day or in the following weeks (a prepaid envelope for express delivery is then required).

If on the lodging day the person in the birth certificate is over 18 years of age, said certificate will not be eligible for straightforward registration. Instead, the applicant will have to first apply for a case of citizenship recognition and request a specific interview (more details from HERE).


For overseas certificates, applicants are advised to obtain all details necessary for perfecting them (either by means of an apostìlle or through legalization, depending on whether or not the issuing country ratified the Hague Convention of 1961) by consulting the website of Italy's relevant Embassy or Consulate in that country.

When a certificate is accompanied by a sworn translation (as is often the case with documents issued, eg., in Brazil), the translation will have to (1) be apostillized locally, and (2) bear the translator’s wording “translation true to the original attached” (or equivalent), short of which the certificate and the translation will be ineligible and will be returned to applicants to have them perfected.



  • Parents are warned against using their surnames (or part of) as their child’s given name (or part of). Such conduct is in breach of art. 34 of DPR 396/2000 and entails the relevant Council to report the case to Italy’s relevant Authorities, who will then initiate a procedure aiming at rectifying the child’s given name(s). Whenever a passport was issued according to the original birth certificate, said passport will eventually have to be cancelled and replaced with a new one, bearing the child’s correct details, with parents having to pay for all fees again.
  • If the child's parents were married abroad and the marriage is not registered in Italy, marriage registration is required first and full documentation provided before applying for registration of a child’s birth certificate.
  • Where the child’s parents are unmarried and the father’s name is not on the full birth certificate, a formal acknowledgement of paternity is in order first.